This semester, there are a lot of great opportunities for you to present research, network with potential employers, and learn from other students and professors. Here are four events you won’t want to miss.
1. Career and Internship Fair
The Career and Internship Fair is an excellent opportunity to build your network, apply for jobs, and interview for potential jobs. In fall 2019,118 employers came to the STEM Fair, and these employers conducted over 60 interviews with BYU students. The event is not for seniors only—many employers are looking for students to fill internship positions as well as full-time positions.
- When: Thursday, February 6, 2020 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: Wilkinson Student Center Ballroom
- How to prepare: Get a professional review of your resume here and schedule a mock interview here.
- More info:
2. Three-Minute Thesis Competition
The Three-Minute Thesis Competition is a chance for graduate students to present their theses in a unique way. As the title suggests, participants will face the ultimate challenge: present an overview of their research in only three minutes. Additionally, participants will need to be able to discuss the complex concepts in their theses in an understandable way because their audience generally consists of individuals who are not specialists in their field of study. The first place winner will take away $1,000 in prize money, and other participants will be eligible to win cash prizes ranging from $50 to $750. This is a great event to attend and see what it takes to do a thesis and the breadth of research in the conference.
- When: Friday, February 21, 2020 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: 5519 Wilkinson Student Center
- How to participate: Contact your department
- More info: https://www.cpms.byu.edu/three-minute-thesis-competition/
3. Student Research Conference
The Student Research Conference is an opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students to present their research in a conference setting. The conference provides excellent preparation for graduate studies and for entering the STEM industry. If you aren’t presenting, this is a great event to attend to see what it’s like to do research. You also might win one of the door prizes (cumulative value of $1500).
- When: Saturday, February 29th, 2020, from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Where: Jesse Knight Building, room 2107
- How to prepare: After you have had your advisor approve your abstract, submit your abstract here. The last day you can submit an abstract is February 7, 2020.
- More info: https://www.cpms.byu.edu/student-research-conference/
4. Discover STEM 2020
The Discover STEM fair is perfect for the scientists of tomorrow. Students in grades six through eight have the opportunity to participate in experiments and to experience real-world applications of science. If you want to volunteer to help out, contact the Math Education Association at email@example.com.
- When: Saturday, March 28th, 2020 from 9:00 a.m. to noon
- Where: Wilkinson Student Center Terrace
- How to prepare: Register here. The last day you can register is February 24, 2020.
- More info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0REQySeIDg&feature=youtu.be
5. The Cougs vs. Cancer 5K Race
The purpose of the Cougs vs. Cancer 5K Race is to honor former President Rex Lee who passed away from cancer. Proceeds from the race support cancer research at the BYU Simmons Center for Cancer Research.